Model: Construction Wagon

The place for Contributors to sign up for tasks and discussion of their work and progress.
Dragonlord
Forum Administrator
Model: Construction Wagon

Post by Dragonlord » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:10 pm

Task Subject
creating the model of a construction wagon ( something along this line ). the door of the wagon has to be moveable ( hence not in one piece with the wagon ). the stairs in front of the door should be a separate model. the inside should not contain any props as they are placed there afterwards. the color of the wagon should be rusted blue. the wagon has already a noticable age and has been left unattended where it is today since a couple of month. the wagon should be not longer than 5 or 6 meters or broader than 2 meters. the wheels on the wagon are optional and not required.

Assignments
Model: Siath
Skin: Siath
Rig: unassigned

Status
in progress

Media
no media yet.
Last edited by Dragonlord on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:29 am

I could work up something for this (I don't rig however - but would make all parts seperetly in order that they could be rigged.)

Let me know what 'type' of object you want this as.
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:14 am

The rig is no problem. I can do this rather quick ( or I can give you hints about this whatever suits you more ). What exactly you mean with "what type of object"?

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:39 am

.obj or .lwo or etc etc... :D
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:18 pm

I'm using my own file formats: .model. You can export to this format using a python script for Blender. I usually though prefer it as a .blend file. This way I can apply small changes if I modify my scripts. But this is not required at all costs since you have Blender on your own.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:44 pm

This is the 'first' of many parts that will 'become' the construction wagon.

Made with Blender - no postwork...

Also - will send you all object in .blend - since that seems like it would be easiest for you to edit/work with.

I have looked at the image (the suggested wagon style) a few hundred times now, and think I can make it one that is very similar to it.
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:16 pm

It's not required to be identical to this one. The image is supposed to give you an impression. The construction wagon is only required to be on wheels ( hence elevated ), has one door and a window or two and has a round top-side so the water goes down easily. The entrance has to be at the long side ( left or right doesn't matter ) not the short side ( because the wagon is supposed to stand near a house in a corner ). I tend to leave things a bit open for people to also bring in their own ideas unless an object has to be precise which is when I state exactly what is required.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:38 am

:D I'll make it look good - I have the 'base shape and the 'windows' already.

By the way, what's the max vertices on this? (not that I'll be any where near it but curiousity kills me)

Like the rim, the wagon will be fully 'shaped' in that the windows and doors will not be single plane but actually made with a 'shaped box' in order that it has depth when open, also the sides, roof and bottom will have this same type of depth (I have played WAY too many games where objects were single plane created and it just looks bad.)
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:34 pm

There is not really a limit on this one. In the end the Graphic Module decides the detail level ( either auto-reduces if required or increases polycount using the normal/height map as displacement map ). Hence use as many vertices as you require to make the shape look good. You can use a high-polygon version to make a normal map to get more details.

So far Odjin has the highest polygon count. He weights in at 2500 vertices and 4600 triangles. I plan though to bump this up a bit hence you should be in the clear. Should it be a problem the Graphic Module can down-size the meshes on it's own.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Good, I have been working on the pull bar and front suspension section and realize that the vertice count is going to be fairly high considering the front and rear suspension the 'splash guards and the seperated doors and moving windows... :D
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:01 pm

Just create a first version. I'll have then a look at it and if some vertex count is too high or low I'll tell you. Usually I judge this on a per model base. Some models require more vertices to look good and others can get away with some cheaper vertex count.

Siath
Contributors

Some Progress -

Post by Siath » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:28 pm

Front <<----

Currently 1416 vertices, 1700 faces 26 objects... (that is not including the rim which has 512 vertices, 560 faces, 3 objects {this will be only 2 when completed - 1 object rim, and 1 object tire})

The progress so far :D - That suspension was a lot of fun to create - there is two levels of the circular connector - one to stay attached to the wagon and the other to attach to the suspension's top bar.

To do still:

Add connectors from axles to lower suspension springs.
Add front main pull bar and crossbar
Add rings to the main pull bar (for attachment point of harness)
Add rings to the front cross bar (also for attachment point of harness)
Add some method to allow front pull bar to rotate up and down (not the rigging put a 'hinge' point as it where)
Add the stairs - (erm you want those coming from the side near the front right?)
Add other details (ie window/door frames, trim around top and bottom, etc)
Add tire hub (ie the connecting point for the wheel and tire)
Add the tire to the rim - and move those into place.

Overall about 5 hours so far on the main wagon and 4 hours on the rim (see early post for image)
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Looks promising. Is that on the left side the door? If so I would like to have it on the long side so I can put this against a wall with the other side ( so at this side there need not be any windows ).

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:11 am

Window and door location is not a big issue - the front of the wagon is to the viewers left.

The box that is showing slightly different is the 'end' of the wagon (there is one at both ends like that) = those won't show on the final model - as all of the 'box' of the wagon body will be one part. I created those to move so that I could 'see' inside while setting up the suspension - I wanted it to not 'show' thru the floor... :D

So, the door needs to be on the side facing away from the camera - near front.....
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:49 am

There are better ways to do this.

One way is to use the Orbit Camera. Use two views. In one view you work and move the objects. Place the 3D cursors Where the Orbit Center should be. Then place the mouse in the other window and hit 'C'. The camera is now orbiting about this location. Use the middle mouse button to rotate around. Use the other view to move the object in question and use the second view to check for the alignment.

The other option is to use Wireframe mode. Hit 'Z' to go to wire mode and hit it again to go back to solid view. Quick way to align things. And if you don't like the wire mode toggle the "View Hidden Faces" button ( it's the forthed right next to the vertex/edge/face button ). If disabled you see all lines through solids enabling you to align.

I use both depending on what I'm working on.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable