Model: Construction Wagon

The place for Contributors to sign up for tasks and discussion of their work and progress.
Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:02 am

I'll try the view hidden face = I forgot about that mode....
Siath

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:36 am

Verts - 6204, Faces - 8894, Obj - 55
The rims really are the bulk of this, 512 vertices, 560 faces, 3 objects each = 2048 verts, 2240 faces, 12 objects...

Reworked door/windows - closed the ends up. Added trim around doors/windows and top/bottom of wagon.

Reworked leaf springs, moved axle to fit, included rims, added tires, added pull rod, and a cross T (not sure that is in this render)

I am using colors on some parts as grey on grey on grey = I can't see it :D

Objects are now grouped - group 1 includes roof, all trim, body, upper turn support, back support box, back leaf springs, and back axle - group 2 includes back tires/rims - group 3 includes the lower turn support, front support box, leaf springs, axle, and pull rod support. group 4 includes pull rod axle, pull rod and croos T.

Will add rear mud gaurds, corner trim, and door knob... and some other things that I can't think of at this second...

Comments, thoughts, etc....
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Make the window and door separate for the moment. This way I can make certain things breakable if required. I have to add some physics joints anyways which would be a way to test it.
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:18 pm

oh, They are separate objects - just grouped, for what moves and doesn't move - The glass on the door is grouped to the door, since it would move with the door...
Siath

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:14 am

Ok, I'll be sending you this as a .blend file later tonight.

Hope you like it - I'll make the stepladder tomorrow - as it will take only a short time to create.
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:24 pm

Looks good so far. I don't think the pole in front is required. This one is old and already rusting at places and is never moved again anymore. I would say we drop the part in front to save vertices since it will not be used. You can leave it in though as a separate object should we ever need something like that somewhere else.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:06 pm

Dragonlord wrote:Looks good so far. I don't think the pole in front is required. This one is old and already rusting at places and is never moved again anymore. I would say we drop the part in front to save vertices since it will not be used. You can leave it in though as a separate object should we ever need something like that somewhere else.
It could be 'laying about' near the front of the wagon...

My blender kept acting weird last night so I'll try to get those files sent later today (as I'm about to leave my place now - BBQ at the in laws {good eating})....
Siath

Siath
Contributors

Sent .blend file

Post by Siath » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:33 am

Ok, chalk this one as done!

Sent .blend and a nice render (.jpg) format to your email.
Siath

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Explain how to unwrap (and actually find the file it creates)- and I'll work on the textures for this :D
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:33 pm

Rather simple. First you have to place seems along your mesh. Consider seems the places where you cut open the mesh with a pair of scissors. Hence seems have to enclose connected patches of faces. Since it's an "unwrap" it's a good idea to make the patches as flat as possible without too many cuts.

First switch on the "seems" button in the mesh tools panel to see the seems as orange lines. Then select the edges you want to be seems and hit CTRL+E and select "Mark Seem". "Clear Seem" reverse the process. Once the seems a placed go into the "UV Face Select" mode. Best is to turn your second view into the UV-View. Then select the patch to unwrap by placing the mouse over a face and hit L. Then hit U and select "Unwrap (Smart Projections". In the popup tick the "Init from view" button and leave the rest as is.

From there on you can then arrange the unwrapped faces in the UV-View. The unwrap process keeps the shapes intact but is not very optimal. Manual correction is required to use the texture space to the max.

Once done select all vertices in the UV-View with A. Then use the menu "UV", "Scripts", "Save UV Face Layout". In the popup choose the size and untick the "Object" button and proceed to the next step. Select the TGA file to save to and there it goes. It takes a couple of seconds to finish saving.

Little note. The Save UV Face Layout has a little bug though. For some reason the layout is not 100% accurate. What I do is to export to a large file like 2048 with thick lines ( 2 or so ) and then I scale down in GIMP to the right size. Otherwise your layout is a couple of pixels off ( scaling and offset is slightly bugged ).

This should get you started.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:33 pm

Doesn't sound too complex... how well does it wrap back on after the texture is added...

Also, I've always done my images larger than the finished version - as it 'covers' minor issues :D
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:36 pm

What do you mean with "wraps back"? The Unwrap process in Blender is designed to preserve angles as good as possible. Important is like mentioned to place the seems at the right place to get patches of faces which you could flatten out in reality if it would be made of paper. Takes a bit of experience to find the good seems in a mesh to get good unwraps. But if something doesn't work out well you can manipulate the texture positions by hand. Good tip is to first load a test-texture. In my case this is a black texture with rows of numbers and letters building a sort of grid. After unwrap you can immediately check with this texture how well the unwrap worked. The numbers and letters should be non-sheared on the surface then the unwrap is perfect.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm

That was indeed what I was referencing... I can unwrap - but when I put it back on it never goes on the same way it came off - ie parts aren't going back where they came from....
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:11 pm

What exactly you mean with this "they don't go where they come of"?

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:31 pm

I am saying that I unwrapped the main 'box' of the wagon - and I did a sampling of color to see how it would look - but when I put the texture on it's at an odd angle and the whole image is on each surface...

I've looked a ton of tutorials on this but none of them explain how to put it back on...
Siath

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable