Odjin Nano-Tech Battle Armor

The place for Contributors to sign up for tasks and discussion of their work and progress.
Dragonlord
Forum Administrator
Odjin Nano-Tech Battle Armor

Post by Dragonlord » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm

put my hands on the low-poly version of Odjin's battle armor. the fine details will be added on the high-res version. this armor is fullbody covering and equipped with some very sharp parts , hence you should not make him mad . not to be seen on this series of renders are the wrist blades hidden in the shaft on his right lower-arm (but they are modelled and present). once i rigged that guy i'll make some posing.

missing: rig, skins

*** Removed ***

EDIT: made some modifications to make the armor more pronounced and to give him more of a machine look.

*** Removed ***
Last edited by Dragonlord on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

Grogdon
Retired

Post by Grogdon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:36 pm

That looks sweet as. Way to go! :D Can't wait to get a look at him in high res, it'll be awesome. Question! What's rig?
someone wrote:I used to make comics n stuff
then I got a computer
then i lost my social life

it rocked :)
My Deviantart

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:23 am

rig is my name for the skeleton, or Armature in Blender3D. as that is all exported separatly it can be done by different people without interfering with already exported data.

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:06 pm

forgot to add updates here... have fun ;)

went for the high-res model. it will server as normal-map and as model for the game-cover.

shaped the place for the unit crest and shield-generator. shaped the upper and lower arms. includes now some shoulder stuff and under-arm protection. fixed some edge loops.

what i am not sure is now if i should make two big hornies at the shoulder (like now) or more like 3 or 4 smaller ones, more like blades. :o

*** Removed ***

Grogdon
Retired

Post by Grogdon » Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:40 am

WOW :shock: Looks great! As for the sholder pads I like the current ones but that's really up for you to decied. :)
someone wrote:I used to make comics n stuff
then I got a computer
then i lost my social life

it rocked :)
My Deviantart

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:41 pm

added neck-protectors and some wing-protectors. now those wings will still take some time to get done.

*** Removed ***

Khan
Intermediate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Khan » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:57 pm

hires version = cool 8)

for the infideles, the GrandDragon Mech:
*** Image no more existing ***
Time: 0.090000 seconds

OK
(68 tests)

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:38 am

8) ... ph34r the big fat gun... :lol: . is that a laser or kind of particle accelerator?

Khan
Intermediate
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Khan » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:50 pm

Dragonlord wrote:is that a laser or kind of particle accelerator?
Particle (ion IIRC) accelerator called PPC (Particle Projector Cannon). The fun thing about it is it causes both kinetic (like a traditional gun) and termal (like a laser) damage.
http://www.solaris7.com/TRO/BattleMech/ ... sp?ID=3114
Time: 0.090000 seconds

OK
(68 tests)

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:17 am

sounds nice... and would match my damage system, as there everything that can cause damage does deal multiple kinds of damage... long live visiting-pattern ;)

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:59 pm

now this update took a lot of time but there has been a lot going on here requiring my attention (pal got gifted a new notebook and i had been the lucky one to install it... :| ). furthermore i knew that the geometry of the wings are horrible. i made them back then as i tried to find an ok way to do wings in-game (believe it or not but there is no good dragon model in a game yet with good body/wing geometry fully animatable: this one is). hence i had to first fix the wings with usable edge-loops and stuff like that. looks like not much done but the wings have been reworked in that way.

*** Removed ***
Last edited by Dragonlord on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thanOS
Apprentice

Post by thanOS » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:25 pm

The high res model is indeed very good looking. However, dont you think that it looks very human for a dragon? And the wings dont look like they would support him gliding in the air.

How about a little larger wings and a bit of a longer neck (to match the already long tail)?

Is this model in proportion with the older pen-and-paper sketch?
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:01 pm

thanOS wrote:The high res model is indeed very good looking. However, dont you think that it looks very human for a dragon?
this armor has been created by humen and the idea is to turn him from his natural four legged posture into this uprect one (more humanized one). Odjin is meant to be a kind of 'bridge' character. he's supposed to expose opposites visually to the audience, kind like the yin-yang where opposites are visually exposed, yet still forming one piece. hence he marks the bridge between light and dark (his natural color is white, the armor is black), good and bad (i'll not reveal that one here, it's a past related trick you have to find out), dragonkind and menkind (his natural shape is dragon, the armor turns his shape though uhman).
And the wings dont look like they would support him gliding in the air.
they are no more used for that with that armor as (not yet modelled) there are two jetpacks afixed under the wings (on the body side), which provide the trust. the wings are only for stearing.
How about a little larger wings and a bit of a longer neck (to match the already long tail)?
not possible. the model is the very same as the original four legged model but only draged uprect. i can not alter his anatomy, only add to it.
nope, like mentioned above in proportion with the four-legged version.

and nice to hear once again from you down there in the windy english fields :D

thanOS
Apprentice

Post by thanOS » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:06 pm

Thanks for the smashing reply, dragonlord :-)
Dragonlord wrote:
thanOS wrote:The high res model is indeed very good looking. However, dont you think that it looks very human for a dragon?
this armor has been created by humen and the idea is to turn him from his natural four legged posture into this uprect one (more humanized one). Odjin is meant to be a kind of 'bridge' character. he's supposed to expose opposites visually to the audience, kind like the yin-yang where opposites are visually exposed, yet still forming one piece. hence he marks the bridge between light and dark (his natural color is white, the armor is black), good and bad (i'll not reveal that one here, it's a past related trick you have to find out), dragonkind and menkind (his natural shape is dragon, the armor turns his shape though uhman).
I feel a bit left behind in the progresion of the storyline... :-(
Dragonlord wrote:
And the wings dont look like they would support him gliding in the air.
they are no more used for that with that armor as (not yet modelled) there are two jetpacks afixed under the wings (on the body side), which provide the trust. the wings are only for stearing.
Even if this is a jet dragon you need some wing area to support the weight. The thrust is not responsible for flying. It provides enough speed for the wings to produce lift. I would expect the dragon to run with its legs, spread the wings and then fire the jet. The smaller the wings, the higher the speed the longer the runway.
Dragonlord wrote:
not possible. the model is the very same as the original four legged model but only draged uprect. i can not alter his anatomy, only add to it.
nope, like mentioned above in proportion with the four-legged version.
This is the exact sketch i am referring to. The one with blue pen on paper, not the later pencil and paper drawing with the armor on the dragon.

Anyway, my point was that it looks a bit human in the sense that Aliens (that we actually dont know how they look like) get depicted as human like in various movies and games. I guess the protective scales on the back of the neck make it look a bit more "lizy" :-)
I was realy glad to see this point covered by the storyline.
Dragonlord wrote: and nice to hear once again from you down there in the windy english fields :D
We are up here but it doesnt matter :-)...Its all just a big convention...
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 pm

thanOS wrote:I feel a bit left behind in the progresion of the storyline... :-(
what point you dropped off exactly?
Even if this is a jet dragon you need some wing area to support the weight. The thrust is not responsible for flying. It provides enough speed for the wings to produce lift. I would expect the dragon to run with its legs, spread the wings and then fire the jet. The smaller the wings, the higher the speed the longer the runway.
the jets are rather powerfull. they provide the propulsion upwards and the wings are the stearing. think of it as one of those jet-packs you put on your back that lift you off, just that here you have some stearing possibility. at last this is what i thought for him to have. you can then do full 3d airial combat if needed this way... don'tt feather and tear me but think of dragonballz just without the crappy characters :D
This is the exact sketch i am referring to. The one with blue pen on paper, not the later pencil and paper drawing with the armor on the dragon.
i tried a couple of drawings but it is rather difficult to make it look right as the key idea behind this armor is that it is applied ontop of his body not altering his geometry. think what would happen if you make your dog stand on his hind legs and now put an armor ontop of it to make this posture easy to maintain.
Anyway, my point was that it looks a bit human in the sense that Aliens (that we actually dont know how they look like) get depicted as human like in various movies and games. I guess the protective scales on the back of the neck make it look a bit more "lizy" :-)
I was realy glad to see this point covered by the storyline.
the idea is to make him a bit 'strange'. he's supposed to be the most mysterious character in your team. i hope the story later on will unfold this more. if you want to know more about the story post a topic in the team-hq forum. there we can talk safely ^_^.
We are up here but it doesnt matter :-)...Its all just a big convention...
big convention?