Odjin Nano-Tech Battle Armor

The place for Contributors to sign up for tasks and discussion of their work and progress.
thanOS
Apprentice

Post by thanOS » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:12 am

Dragonlord wrote:
thanOS wrote:I feel a bit left behind in the progresion of the storyline... :-(
what point you dropped off exactly?
The justification of the human-like form of Odijn was news for me...maybe i should get out more...or better, hangout in the E forums more :-)
Dragonlord wrote:
Even if this is a jet dragon you need some wing area to support the weight. The thrust is not responsible for flying. It provides enough speed for the wings to produce lift. I would expect the dragon to run with its legs, spread the wings and then fire the jet. The smaller the wings, the higher the speed the longer the runway.
the jets are rather powerfull. they provide the propulsion upwards and the wings are the stearing. think of it as one of those jet-packs you put on your back that lift you off, just that here you have some stearing possibility. at last this is what i thought for him to have. you can then do full 3d airial combat if needed this way... don'tt feather and tear me but think of dragonballz just without the crappy characters :D
It makes sense...but this concept needs some refinement...perhaps in the future. Maybe change it to some antigravity device?
Dragonlord wrote:
This is the exact sketch i am referring to. The one with blue pen on paper, not the later pencil and paper drawing with the armor on the dragon.
i tried a couple of drawings but it is rather difficult to make it look right as the key idea behind this armor is that it is applied ontop of his body not altering his geometry. think what would happen if you make your dog stand on his hind legs and now put an armor ontop of it to make this posture easy to maintain.
OK got it...
Dragonlord wrote:
We are up here but it doesnt matter :-)...Its all just a big convention...
big convention?
Its all just a big deal we have make with each other, regarding what is considered as up here or down there on planet earth :-)
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:18 pm

thanOS wrote:The justification of the human-like form of Odijn was news for me...maybe i should get out more...or better, hangout in the E forums more :-)
maybe i didn't say it aloud yet, that's possible.
It makes sense...but this concept needs some refinement...perhaps in the future. Maybe change it to some antigravity device?
hehe... for that you are the physics coordinator of the team :lol: . i did not wanted to go for anti-grav devices as i can not really think of how you could quickly move with them. but we could keep that as an option.
Its all just a big deal we have make with each other, regarding what is considered as up here or down there on planet earth :-)
oh, cool... if i would get that now that is :lol:
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

Grogdon
Retired

Post by Grogdon » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Dragonlord wrote:
thanOS wrote:The justification of the human-like form of Odijn was news for me...maybe i should get out more...or better, hangout in the E forums more :-)
maybe i didn't say it aloud yet, that's possible.
I haven't heard a lot on the story either. Would be interesting to hear a bit about it. I've picked up a few bits and pieces when your describing one of the areas I work with but not the whole cheese.
someone wrote:I used to make comics n stuff
then I got a computer
then i lost my social life

it rocked :)
My Deviantart

thanOS
Apprentice

Post by thanOS » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Dragonlord wrote:
hehe... for that you are the physics coordinator of the team :lol: . i did not wanted to go for anti-grav devices as i can not really think of how you could quickly move with them. but we could keep that as an option.
Physics Coordinator... :oops: Its like i have some authority over the phenomena :twisted:

There are some "recent" manipulations of the fields of a materials ions so that they get focused and produce a "gravitational" field which can theoritically be used to lift a body (People have been diving in their old cupboards discovering alternative ways of expressing Einsteins equations predicting that anti-gravity might be real after all)...However, it involves a superconductor, a super fridge to keep the superconductor superconducting and a huge magnetic field...Appart from that, its pretty easy to do it :-)
In Odijns case this could be a multi-use tool. It comes as a weapon like device and once pointed to a surface alters the orientation of the surfaces particles to create a field which is either opposed to the direction of aiming or not (Therefore it either pushes you or pulls you). So, to fly, you just point it downwards and you get lifted up...
As you can understand we are talking about a highly McGyverish item here :-)
The source of energy can be the same as the particle canon ;-)
Dragonlord wrote:
oh, cool... if i would get that now that is :lol:
Yeah, its cool when you go up :-) :-)
0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:05 pm

@Grogdon: yeah i guess i should compile up some informations in the teamhq forum. first have to translate the parts to english as my design doc is in german.

@ThanOS: that one with the anti-grav sounds fun (and yeah the superconducting stuff is nice, we had some guys over here at university playing around in physics lectures with this levitating effect, nice stuff). there are indeed 'two' versions of that armor: one is yours... and... well... the otherone should not exist but it does, shit happens. that second one is supposed to be better than yours (to give things a bit of challange). maybe we could add this effect there to give it the edge in arial combat (meaning you would have to be better to nullify the handicap). i'll think about that one.

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:46 pm

took me a long time before i got back to this one. one reason had been blender 2.41, with a lot of good stuff but also a couple of neck-breakers for script makers :| . also the game engine took a lot of time. but at the end all gets well so i got back to this guy.

what i did now is mainly rigging. i recreated the entire armature ( with a lot of bones ) to match him in the reference pose. i had to do this as the old armature is meant for Odjin ( image inside ) which has a different reference pose. during this process i also altered some bones, stripped a couple of them ( at the neck, tail and feet where he can not move anymore that well with the armor and additional bones are unnecessary ) and cheated a bit ( like elongating the legs slightly ). after that i have now nearly all rigged except the wings.

furthermore i worked a bit on the mesh correcting problems that occured during the test pose. mainly the lower arms are reworked. i removed the wrist blades as what he will be holding later makes up for it more than enough ;) . the wrist blades are though not gone. i'll give them to the other ( similar ) character sporting a similar armor ( hence instead of using them yourself you have to face them, 8) ). with now nearly all rigged i made a pose to make him look better. as you can see, he's supposed to hold something very mean... it's up to you to figure out what that could be ;)

todo:
- remodelling legs and tail
- rigging wings
- uv-mapping
- texturing
(?) remodelling shoulder protectors

you better not piss him off or you're in for a very painfull time :twisted:

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:14 am

tried out how the color scheme i had in mind looks like. i used only the quick coloring of blender ( hence triangle coloring ) for testing purpose and i colored only the parts which are in the final shape. lighting dark stuff is very tricky ( and making metallic materials too :| ).

Grogdon
Retired

Post by Grogdon » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:03 pm

That looks awesome. Looks like his in a sort of combat mode standing upright to make himself look as tall as he can sort of like some snakes do (dragons and snakes can also be viewed as similar creatures).

Two things I'm not sure about, is first his tail looks a bit odd. Can't exactly discribe it. Second is the color scheme. Whilst it looks alright I'm not sure that it should go as dark as black. Just what I think anyway. :)
someone wrote:I used to make comics n stuff
then I got a computer
then i lost my social life

it rocked :)
My Deviantart

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:20 pm

the tail is not worked over yet like the legs. concerning the black color i want to have this contrast between his normal shape ( white color ) and this combat mode ( black color ). i tried though a couple of black tones but it's tricky to get blender to render black ok. i'm still working on that.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:49 am

Rendering black in Blender is mostly about the Ambient light output - I have done several objects with a lot of dark colors and this was the most effective way I've found to have that color not be pitchblack (ie looks like it's completely shadowed - even with direct spotlights on it...)
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:28 pm

That's true. I tend now to work more with "filler" lights instead of ambient. Don't know why but I feel more comfortable this way. Maybe be me.

Siath
Contributors

Post by Siath » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:44 pm

Depending on what I have in the scene - I tend to use spotlights with 'low' output to 'highlight' an object.

The Construction wagon renders all used a single spot light 'linked' to camera (and aimed same as camera) in order to not have much 'shadowing' on the camera view - it had shadows but they didn't 'cover' anything that the camera was looking towards.

Also you should check my deviant art - I've worked out doing some nice shiny :D mirroring, and reflections within Blender. :D
Siath

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:38 pm

Yeah I've seen it. Usually though I want shadows on my images since they give depth to a scene. Often I also use a partially mirror on the ground to increase what you see of a mesh.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1275: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable