Hi! Some denormgen tests.

Informations, Help and general talk around the Normal and Displacement Map Generator Tool.
TiZeta
First Steps

Hi! Some denormgen tests.

Post by TiZeta » Sun May 14, 2006 12:08 am

Hi! Im'm Tiziana from Italy.
Fist of all, this is a beautiful and promising project.
Second, this tool that you have created is wonderful, works greatly and it is tha only similar app i've found for Linux.
Previously, my only alternative was using the NormalMap generator from Ati with Wine emulator.

I've not been able to use the newest version (python script problems) so i'm with version 1.2.

Normalmaps come perfect... well, almost.
I've only noticed some small and fixable problems:

- In low resolution maps (example: 512 * 512) i had some jagged edges where heigh variations are stronger, due simply to pixels: to get rid of this, it is possible to set an higher resolution in Denormgen and/or add a little blur in Gimp. So everyting gets smooth. It can be re-scaled down later.

- The Y +/- issue: light goes the wrong way.
The issue is well explained here, and there is the solution too:
http://www.monitorstudios.com/bcloward/ ... aps11.html
For example, this issue affects Blender's rendering.
Everything for the fix can be done in Gimp, and it is different depending on what texture space is the map for. In tangent space, you have to go to the channels, select the *green* one only, and simply select from menu Layer -> Colors -> invert, as said on the linked site.
But the same issue is in object space, and solution is different.
In this case, it is the *red* channel that you have to invert.

And finally a render: both tangent and objetc space textures have been corrected for Y issue in Gimp.
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/9971/rendnew5iy.png
It would be nice to have some option to set tha Y thing to positive or negative in Denormgen.

Thanks again for this wonderfull program. You can't imagine how useful it will be for Linux Blenderheads! :D :D :D
It is a huge enrichment.

Cheers
Tiziana

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi! Some denormgen tests.

Post by Dragonlord » Sun May 14, 2006 1:31 am

TiZeta wrote:I've not been able to use the newest version (python script problems) so i'm with version 1.2.
the new blender version altered a lot the python backend which completly breaks the script. i have to rewrite it once but currently i am more at doing the export scripts for my engine. i'll get to this as soon as possible.
- In low resolution maps (example: 512 * 512) i had some jagged edges where heigh variations are stronger, due simply to pixels: to get rid of this, it is possible to set an higher resolution in Denormgen and/or add a little blur in Gimp. So everyting gets smooth. It can be re-scaled down later.
yes, that issue i noticed too. so far i could not get the pixel gaps to vanish. not sure what exactly causes the problem but to fix it a have a post-processor modules in mind to clean up your normal maps. that will be part of the next version if possible.
- The Y +/- issue: light goes the wrong way.
in fact it is not an issue but a convention. games like Doom3 for example use the same normal map direction as i use. this has to do with what coordinate system you use in tangent space or object space. my normal map tool is made to work with the coordinate system i use in my game engine, which is the followin:
for object-space: X points right, Y points up, Z points into the screen
for texture-space: U points right, V points down.

as you can see the normal map is light in red-channel fro the right side and in green-channel from the bottom. blender has a different coordinate system which breaks things then.

there will be most probably a post-processor modul that converts into other normal maps but i'm not sure in what way i'll do this. perhaps an additional tool to convert normal maps might be better as this is strickly not a problem of the normal generator itself.
Thanks again for this wonderfull program. You can't imagine how useful it will be for Linux Blenderheads! :D :D :D
one of the reasons i made it. game deving on linux needs some pushes badly ;)
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon May 15, 2006 10:12 pm

the script is now fixed and works with blender 2.41 and denormgen 1.3 . i'll include the fix in the next release. most probably i'll turn release 1.4 into a small bugfix release and add the requested features in 1.5
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

TiZeta
First Steps

Post by TiZeta » Wed May 17, 2006 12:40 pm

:D Good! I'll try it as soon as possible.
Tiziana