What is it about?

All sorts of discussions about the game not fitting elsewhere.
Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:04 pm

nope... nah... damn... it has nothing to do with alternate realities, it has nothing to do with mirror universes, it has nothing to do with time travelling...

it's a pure physical mind gambling, what true science-fiction should be like.

i know it's very hard for the common people to understand the physical ideas behind something like a 4th room dimension (in this case represented as a physical property of matter) but just think of those dimensions like a sheet of transparent paper. each paper is one energy-level. everything on this sheet can interact with everything else on the same sheet. but no matter on one sheet can interact with that of another sheet. thus each matter exists exactly once and has no influence on the other matter unless it is on the same sheet.

i hope this helps you understand it a bit better. just break loose of the common, dead-born sci-fi tv show physics as this one is in fact plain simple: a new matter property introduced, nothing spectacular in its basics but interesting in the conclusions of this.
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

migB
First Steps

Post by migB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 am

But if you operate with switching the wave frequency / dimension, you would not need to "attract a rift".
Except if you want to jump in spacetime as well, then you'll need a wormhole.

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:09 pm

For a wormhole ( after what I know about it ) you need a folded space so that moving along the 4th dimension results in a short way from one point in space to another. Here though changing the energy level moves you along the 4th dimension ( which is a non-folding space ). Hence you do not dislocate. You stay at the same (x,y,z) coordinates in space but you move to a new "paper sheet" ( to stay with my analogy ). So it's not a wormhole moving you from one location in space to another. This is why I used the term "rift". It's simply a place where the energy level of matter is bumped up or down resulting in the matter to switch from one energy level to another. The result thereof is that you suddenly are on a different "world" ( to misuse this term a bit ). Since though such rifts are only moving matter along the 4th dimension they are free to roam around in all three others. This is why the rift can be "attracted" to a certain position in space to be able to move in the 4th dimension. I hope this explains the idea a bit better.

migB
First Steps

Post by migB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Oh, I did understand the idea.
That you are "travelling" to another dimention, yet remain stationary concerning xyz coordinates.

I just don't see what you want rifts for.
A machine cabable of changing the "xendron" frequency should be able to do so independant on "rifts in reality".

Also, a one-way rift from a lower energy level to a higher would be spending energy to perform the process. It need to get that energy from somewhere.
Maybe two rifts could have a "link", so what energy the one rift earn, the other spend, "transfering" equal amounts of matter.

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:55 pm

migB wrote:I just don't see what you want rifts for.
"Rift" is simply a name I gave to this phenomena that is able to alter your energy level. These rifts occur in nature but are very unlikely. Portals give the right rift in the right place the needed "push" to appear.
A machine cabable of changing the "xendron" frequency should be able to do so independant on "rifts in reality".
Which is the difference between the device Sam created and the portals already existing. Portals just attract and open rifts lingering around while the device "actively" creates a rift where it is required. This is why Sam's device is so "interesting" to various kinds of people. As usual there is though a catch and that's in this case the required energy to pull off such a stunt. This is why they use conventional portals as often as possible instead of their own gadget.
Also, a one-way rift from a lower energy level to a higher would be spending energy to perform the process. It need to get that energy from somewhere.
Maybe two rifts could have a "link", so what energy the one rift earn, the other spend, "transfering" equal amounts of matter.
Sounds plausible. For kicking off the process though energy is required which the portals are delivering ( or the device ). The energy of the portals is though rather small compared to the device so you can only change your energy levels by a small amount.