Texture: Office Ceiling

The place for Contributors to sign up for tasks and discussion of their work and progress.
Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Texture: Office Ceiling

Post by Dragonlord » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:57 pm

Task Subject
creating world textures for the office building. all the textures have to be created at 512x512 resolution or better 1024x1024 resultion. providing the same texture at different lower resolutions is optional. resolution has to be square and of a power of 2.

the ceiling texture should be composed of wooden boards. the wood should be of dark to medium dark brownish color. the wood is fine grained and made into narrow planks neatly lined up. the indivudual planks are not aligned every second row with the odd and even rows at half-plank-width offset. the wood is clean and not damaged or worn down.

Assignments
Texture: unasigned

Status
waiting

Media
no media yet.
Oh to be a dragon, of silkworm size or immense...

scratch
Contributors

Post by scratch » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:53 am

Hello!

Even though i'm not sure if you still need help here since the topics are a bit dormant, i finally registered (was thinking about that for a while now) and want to offer you my help with textures. I'd say i'm fairly experienced; i'm actually mapping for Source games (my latest map kz_cloudwalker for Kreedz Climbing) which brought me to texturing (and modeling) over a year ago, but since there are no real projects for me to work on atm i'd like to put my knowledge to good use here.

So yeah, here are two textures you could use for the ceiling, i put them together rather fast because i'm a bit tired atm. Resolution is 512x512, tiles without problems, tell me what you think.

Image Image

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:54 pm

Hi there scratch. Yeah the topics are indeed dormant mostly because nobody is left to tackle those things. All except the hard core members got hit by real-life so this all got stuck. Nevertheless the topics are still valid with some slight alterations though.

The textures look good. Requires now only a normal map and a specular map to round it off but that's not much of a hazzle in the end. I'm going to try them out in the map to show you how it looks like soon.

So do you plan on sticking around this project for a bit longer or simply throwing in some help from time to time?

scratch
Contributors

Post by scratch » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:04 pm

I've sent you an archive with both textures in .tga format including specular and normal map. Not sure about the specular maps, could probably need some tweaking; in Source that's no problem since you can define some parameters to do that in the material file - that said, i have no idea what format you use and what possibilities you have. Some more information on that would be nice.

Here are two screenshots from within Source (cubemaps are not applied though, but since i used a rather low specular effect you'd probably not see it anyway on static screens):

And yes, i'm planning to stick around a bit longer if you need the help, i'd be glad to help out. Complete texture sets do need some time, you know? :)

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:20 pm

scratch wrote:I've sent you an archive with both textures in .tga format including specular and normal map. Not sure about the specular maps, could probably need some tweaking; in Source that's no problem since you can define some parameters to do that in the material file - that said, i have no idea what format you use and what possibilities you have. Some more information on that would be nice.
Got them. I'll give them a test soon. What goes for the capabilities my engine is not "defined" in this regard. This means the amount of abilities in the graphic department depends on the Graphic Module you use. Hence the engine doesn't care about this.

Skins are defined using an XML format. Here's a little sample xml file with some heavy commenting: sample.skin.xml.
And yes, i'm planning to stick around a bit longer if you need the help, i'd be glad to help out. Complete texture sets do need some time, you know? :)
That's correct just that so far nobody had the time to work on them for a longer time ;) . Would be nice if somebody sticks longer than one or two textures. Would help to make things more consistent in the end. There are quite some textures waiting to be done and are filled with placeholders. Are you interested mostly in world textures or also skins for models?

scratch
Contributors

Post by scratch » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I'm mostly interested in world textures but can also do some skinning; as i've already mentioned i'm modeling now and then when i need props for a map. It's mostly rather simple stuff though since my experience in modeling is limited and skinning takes alot more work, especially since i don't have a tablet to paint by hand (heh, and i'm not a skilled artist either). World textures are different, i know my way around and it's alot easier for me to create them. Let's just see what needs to be done, perhaps i'll be able to help out with skins (and models), too.

I guess i'll just start with the office set, walls, floor, ceiling, doors, glass and some generic textures like wood, concrete and metal if that's ok. Do you mind if i open a separate topic for my stuff? I'd build a small office map in Source (in case your engine isn't ready for that yet), texture it and post screenshots now and then so you can take a look at it and tell me if you like it. I'm not fond of posting the plain textures since they look alot different ingame, especially with normal and specular mapping applied.

One more question, does your engine allow texture sizes like 256x512? Or do they have to be square? And how about decals?

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:09 am

scratch wrote:I'm mostly interested in world textures but can also do some skinning; as i've already mentioned i'm modeling now and then when i need props for a map. It's mostly rather simple stuff though since my experience in modeling is limited and skinning takes alot more work, especially since i don't have a tablet to paint by hand (heh, and i'm not a skilled artist either). World textures are different, i know my way around and it's alot easier for me to create them. Let's just see what needs to be done, perhaps i'll be able to help out with skins (and models), too.
World textures are fine. The models can wait a bit longer.
I guess i'll just start with the office set, walls, floor, ceiling, doors, glass and some generic textures like wood, concrete and metal if that's ok.
The walls for the office some former coworker did already. It's some white wallpaper stuff. Those can be left alone. What has not been done yet are the textures for ceilings, floors, alternate wall textures and various other textures.

For the beginning it is important to get the office with the surroundings done. I'll put a small list of textures in need:
- office: ceiling ( should be covered with yours )
- office: floor ( carpet, currently a greenish color )
- office: bath room tiles ( white, square shaped with light gray slit cover material )
- office: door ( it's a model but the texture is more or less flat. wooden door, white, simple, with a metallic name plate at eye height, metallic handle )
- office: elevator ( walls, ceilings, floor, tell me if you want to do this so I can give a bit more infos )
- outside: grass ( not fine grass already with thicker leaves starting to grow wild )
- outside: road ( asphalt without cracks and some crack decals would be good to break it up in places )
- sewers: walls ( without and with humidity stains, again hit me for more details )

There are others but those are what the map elements are already using as placeholders.
Do you mind if i open a separate topic for my stuff?
No problem. Keeps things clean.
I'd build a small office map in Source (in case your engine isn't ready for that yet), texture it and post screenshots now and then so you can take a look at it and tell me if you like it. I'm not fond of posting the plain textures since they look alot different ingame, especially with normal and specular mapping applied.
The engine itself is ready enough but I can't give it out yet so using some other means for testing is a good idea. The map is already there so the textures can immediately be tested by plugging them in.
One more question, does your engine allow texture sizes like 256x512? Or do they have to be square? And how about decals?
In general the texture size is free. It's padded inside. Square textures are though best since no GPU memory is wasted. Decals exist currently only as stubs but you can do decals already since it won't take too long until the stubs are replaced with actual code.

scratch
Contributors

Post by scratch » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:40 pm

Alright, that should clear things up for now, i've already done a few things and will probably post the first screenshots tomorrow. I'll also do the walls, the current plaster texture (screenshots on ModDB) doesn't look very good in my opinion.

Dragonlord
Forum Administrator

Post by Dragonlord » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:52 pm

No problem. Important in the end is that it looks good and that the styles do match. The original author is anyways most probably not returning anymore.